Tuesday 30 July 2013

Ants

My friend is grousing about the ants that have invaded her house in Montréal.  She picks them up and drops them in the garden, she shoos them out the door, she has even resorted to using those round tins with poisoned bait inside.

Carpenter ants have been a problem in many Canadian homes this year because of the diluvial weather in spring and summer.

I pointed out that the ants were climate refugees. "Hunh!" she snorted.  "Well, they can go right back where they came from, they're not moving into this house."

Late last night, while I was downstairs reading in blissful solitude, I heard noise in the kitchen.  Mice?

I located its provenance, the wall behind the stove.  It sounded like grésil, a pitter-patter noise that small frozen rain striking windows makes.

Uh-oh.

On a less gloomy note, before I break the bad news to my friend, I'll watch and post this trailer of _Antz_


2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Pileated Woodpeckers love carpenter ants.
~

deBeauxOs said...

Yum.

Where would she find a nesting pair that could move into her back yard and feast upon the ants?

Perhaps a carefully worded ad on Kijiji...?

Post a Comment