Friday, 15 January 2010

Waiting period.

Updated to provide context: Arizona state legislature passed last October a series of measures restricting access to abortions.

New Law Requires Women To Name Baby, Paint Nursery Before Getting Abortion

Remember our blogposts about obligatory ultra-sounds in the state of Oklahama for women who had consulted a physician regarding the possibility of terminating a pregnancy?

Consider the following:

If you've been paying attention to the erosion of reproductive rights over the last several years, it's the kind of headline that makes you think, "Man I hope that's from The Onion" for a split second before it sinks in that of course it is. For now. Riffing on state laws that require clinics to perform ultrasounds on pregnant women before an abortion, The Onion News Network offers a brilliant satire of anti-choice arguments in favor of assuming women who want to terminate a pregnancy are ignorant or delusional. They're just giving women "all the information they need to be sure they're making the right decision," of course - certainly not making unreasonable demands or using inflammatory language to manipulate emotions or anything.

It's all humour and lampoonry until someone loses a kidney.

Remember Rod Bruinooge? If he and that other ReformaTory MP Vellacott ever join forces on a gynophobic crusade to stop women from exercising reproductive choices, it will get right ugly.


sassy said...

Just noticed this on Red Tory, Good one.

Bina said...

Rod Bruinooge and Maurice Vellacott both desperately need to get laid. Either that, or kneecapped. I know which one I'd rather do...

terraderma said...

Um, is painting a good thing to do when pregnant? All those PAHs and phenols floating around and stuff?

Patrick Ross said...

Huh. So "comment rejected", Deb? Wish I could say I were surprised.

But the inescapable fact of the matter -- the one that you seem to want to brush under the carpet -- is that these ultrasound laws are necessary to counter the disinformation that people like you spread in support of your cause. You can claim that an unborn child is no more than a "clump of cells" if you wish -- but you can't reasonably resent the state of Oklahoma for reminding women what zealots like yourself seem to desperately not want them to know.

deBeauxOs said...

Yes Splatrick, your first comment was rejected.

As I said to my co-blogger, you were all greased up for a fight and I didn't want to give you a forum for your pungent lies about feminism, pro-choice and women who support choice.

As for whatever fabricated "claims" you are trying to attach to me, know this.

I have carried one pregnancy to term. An earlier one ended in a miscarriage that unfolded on a gurney in the emergency area of an urban hospital. I was lucky and quick intervention probably saved my life.

I was pregnant when sonography was strictly used for evaluative purposes, not for entertainment nor for convincing pregnant women that the clump of cells growing in their womb was something they should emotionally connect with.

I have to wonder about people - women and men - who need an incessant supply of unnecessary ultrasound pictures to shore up their ideological opposition to abortion. Sadly, we may yet discover that the excessive use of sonograms along with ambivalence about pregnancy may be one of the contributing factors in the surge of autism in children.

I knew from the first trimester that my daughter was there, that she was being nurtured inside my womb with the best that I could give her. I talked to her, I cuddled her - I gave life to her. When she was born, it was one of the most joyful days of my life.

I would not coerce women to become mothers against their will. It is not a process nor an experience that can be forced upon a woman.

I also support better access to contraception, increased resources for Planned Parenthood because 95% of their work involves preventing pregnancy by educating people about responsible sexuality and post-pregnancy counselling, as well as referals to the appropriate community service providers. The other 5% involves giving input to those who help shape public policy.

Post a Comment