The research report, “Pregnancy coercion, intimate partner violence and unintended pregnancy,” highlights a phenomenon we labeled reproductive coercion to describe explicit male behaviors to promote pregnancy. Particularly for women with a history of partner violence, these behaviors are significantly linked with unintended pregnancy.
Such reproductive coercion takes many forms, but frequently involves a male partner’s direct interference with a woman’s use of contraception (‘birth control sabotage’). It includes removing condoms during sex to get her pregnant, intentional breaking of condoms, and preventing her from taking birth control pills.
SUZY ALL-CAPS would probably justify their actions in a number of ways.
- It's for women's own good. If God gave them wombs, He wants them to breed.
- The Pill Kills!!! It's heroic to replace oral contraceptives with fakes or to flush them.
- Condoms Kill!!! Won't someone think about the sperm Holocaust?
- Women Lie!!! They say their husbands or lovers sabotaged their birth control but can we really trust what they say? After all, those murderous sluts enjoy having abortions.
- A whole bunch of religious celibate men (also known as the Vatican Taliban) don't believe in contraception. Get with the program.