A museum sex exhibit designed to educate teenagers was just fine in Regina, but it's too hot for Ottawa.
The Canada Science and Technology Museum has raised the unaccompanied age of admission for Sex: A Tell-All Exhibition to 16 from 12. [...]This change means the show will miss much of its target audience. Designed by the Montreal Science Centre, it is intended to introduce adolescents to the confusing world of sex.
That was supposed to include young adolescents who are just starting to experience physical and emotional changes of puberty. They will still be admitted, but only with an adult.
A museum spokesman said Wednesday there were "about 50" complaints about the show since publicity began last week. Some were phone calls, some were emails, and many of the emails had the same text copied and pasted.
The spokesman said no identifiable group was associated with the complaints.
I think members of Blob Blogging Wingnut and Tubesock Holocaust's special *Vatican Taliban* interest group - aka fundamentalist, anti-choice catholics - are responsible for the e-swarming.
Anything that might educate their children, encourage them to ask questions about sexuality and allow them to think for themselves is Verboten!
More on the War on Women and on sex that's not for breeding purposes.
I wonder if SUZYALLCAPS' zealot peer group will picket this film, à la Westboro Baptist Church, when it's screened at the ByTowne.
UPDATE by fh: Culture Min James Moore confirms his office bitched.
Added by dBO: shriEEEk!
"The purpose of the museum “is to foster scientific and technological literacy throughout Canada,” Moore’s office said in a statement.From here.
“It is clear this exhibit does not fit within that mandate. This content cannot be defended, and is insulting to taxpayers."
Well I'm a taxpayer and I'm insulted that the Ministry for Heritage and Culture is controlled by sexphobic, religious fundamentalists and christofascists like Charles McVety.
Counter the RWNJ complaint letters with your own, and keep track.