On Tuesday, after a speech in Ottawa, Quebecor chief executive officer Pierre Karl Péladeau said the company would withdraw its request to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission for an exception to the rules of its licence that would have made Sun TV News available to more Canadians.
So, now they're going for an ordinary Category 2 licence, despite the fact they had previously argued that Fox News North wouldn't be financially viable without the three-year 'must offer' special licence.
Oh, and speaking of special, isn't this? Quebecor is actually going to follow the rules.
“We’ve decided to go with the policies of the CRTC,” said Quebecor spokesman Serge Sasseville. . . .
“We are in favour of deregulation, but that [three years] would have been a transition period for us ... but we are part of the free market, so we decided to renounce that special request.”
Now they're part of the free market?
Impolitical speculates on the reasons for the walk-back, but I'm going with the straightforward.
After their ReformaTory bumboy with, supposedly, the ear of the PeeEmmOooo made a complete ass of himself and had to resign, Quebecor simply didn't have the juice.
And, of course, more than 83,000 pissed off Canadians who signed the infamous Margaret-Atwood-backed Avaaz petition had zip zero nada nothing to do with it either.
Mr. Sasseville said the decision to change its request to the regulator “had nothing to do with the Avaaz petition.”
No juice and egg on their face. Not quite the
Let the market decide. And I'm betting this venture is falling flat on its eggy face.