Tuesday 4 May 2010

Remembering Audre Lorde's words.

Last year I wrote a post about a woman whose rapist was charged, brought to trial and found guilty - in spite of considerable systemic, social and legal resistance. Sonwabo Mangcongoza was supported through this endeavour by a women's organization dedicated to ending violence against women and children in South Africa.

"Your silence will not protect you", a quote from Audre Lorde concluded that piece. I'm reposting it as it resonates forcefully and may provide inspiration, given recent events.

Audre Lorde said:

"I have come to believe over and over again, that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood....

My silences had not protected me. Your silence will not protect you ... and while we wait in silence for that final luxury of fearlessness, the weight of that silence will choke us. The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence. And there are so many silences to be broken."

From The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action, Sister Outsider.

And check out "Yell Louder" at A Creative Revolution, with its powerful visual punctuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment