Saturday 7 March 2009

We are living in a tabloid world and ....

I'm a tabloid girl. (Sung to the tune of Madonna's Material Girl tune.)

In today's Globe and Mail as well as in other media with no delusions of propriety this gossipy little 'news' item appeared.

Six love letters written by Prince Charles to a woman living in Canada, revealing a long-term romance between the pair, are attracting potential buyers after being put on sale for $30,000 on eBay this week.

The letters, addressed only to a Janet, are thought to have been sent by the Prince in 1976 and 1980 to Janet Jenkins, a British-born woman living in Montreal at the time. ...

The letters are suggestive of a long-running affair. In one dated June 8, 1980, Charles laments that on a recent visit to Canada that his staff wouldn't have approved of Ms. Jenkins visiting his hotel room.

"I can see that I shall just have to get married as soon as possible and then all these people might relax a little ...!" the letter, written on Windsor Castle letterhead, reads. "Don't worry, whatever happens I will make sure you are given early warning ..."


I googled Janet Jenkins; I've pretty much eliminated the deacon photographed with her husband and the lesbian mom as possibilities for the ex-paramour of Chowls.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA. This is hilarious. It would be funnier if the relationship was actually platonic, but the woman in question decided it would be more fun to pretend.

fern hill said...

Ooo. You think we should rename the blog DAMMIT JANET JENKINS and claim to be the mystery woman?

deBeauxOs said...

What an excellent idea. Will it bring us fame and fortune, fern hill?

fern hill said...

Well, fame we already got. ;) Fortune would be nice.

Alison said...

If I'd known you were going to be interested in who she is I would have paid more attention to this story on the tv news last night. Blonde is all I remember. Was amused that she decided to hold back other letters because they were "more personal".

Anonymous said...

Fortune isn't so easy to come by these days, the way the economy is going I'm beginning think it's time to start up a religion if I want to make some serious bucks.

Trouble is, I'm not sure there's any money to be made from a gay positive, pro-choice godless religion. I'm getting too old to put up with the crowd that would actually fork over the bucks.

fern hill said...

I hear you, Bruce. I could go for a religion like that, but I'd probably not give extra bucks to the religious leaders, estimable as they might be, but to actual good-deed operations.

I've had a Foster Child for about 25 years; I give to Oxfam, United Way, yadayada. I've been getting phone calls from these orgs lately. They are worried.

Things may be getting way worse for the very badly off.

Anonymous said...

That's one of the big problems charities have, they don't do well in times like these. This is where the conservative idea of letting people look after each other really falls apart. Many do, but it's never enough.

Post a Comment