Tuesday 8 March 2011

Obligatory IWD Post

'Euphoria is not victory.'
-- From an article by Robert Freeman I plan to blog on later.

Today in Tahrir Square in Cairo, fifty* women rallied for women's rights on International Women's Day. I followed pakinamamer and Egyptocracy, women who were there.

They report that they were shouted at, groped, and intimidated. By ordinary Egyptian men.

They left, telling women on their way into the square to forget it.

Egyptocracy said:
Women of #Egypt, we have a long way to go.

She was echoed by anameenana:
Sexism and inequality sadly remain wide spread in #Egypt #Jan25 can NEVER be a success if women remained 2nd class citizens

My feelings on IWD align pretty well with Antonia Z's.
Sorry, but I can't get it up for International Women's Day.

And the Voice on CBC's The Current, who this morning said something like: 'It's International Women's Day. To politicians, cue the empty rhetoric.'

Fuck IWD.

(Ha. Just came here to post this and saw that my virtual roomie and I agree. Again.)

*CORRECTION: Tweeps are now saying the number was around 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment